Thursday, June 26, 2014

Why do I blog?

Recently, a lot of my friends have been asking me why I started blogging?  What brought this on?  I usually just smile and blame it on my friend who did it first.  But today I have an answer for them. 
I write because it’s breath.  It’s the feeling of release when I get to yell and scream and bitch and moan and say what is truly in my heart, all while seated in the most beautiful space in my home in absolute silence.  Writing is the only thing I do in silence.  It is required.
I never expected to have anyone read my writing.  I’ve kept diaries since I was in middle school and written poetry for friends and family when the moment has caught me, but this blogging thing…I write because I can, because now that I know I can, I must. 
I had a terrible night’s sleep last night.  This is not new.  My kids are not as loveable during the night as they are during the day.  My schedule has destroyed them for late sleeping. I wake up at 5:30 for work, so they wake up at 5:30 whether I’m working or not.  They have also gotten my insominac genes…so one or both wakes up two to three times a night.  My husband does not love me for this. 
But here’s the great thing.  Recently, instead of lying in bed waiting for sleep, now I write in my head.  Ideas flap their wings, batting about and I hear the words of my next blog and I am- yes, angry that I am awake- but thrilled to have the voices of my day drowned out by my own voice.  I feel as if I have reclaimed myself through words.
There’s something about motherhood.  It claims all of you for itself.  I used to call my babies parasites when they were in the womb, and the term still works.  They feed off of us, and sap us of any energy necessary to sustain life.  So anything that allows me to reinvigorate (if for no other reason than so that I have enough in me to supply them with their next meal) must be positive.  Right?

So why do I blog?  Because it is the healthiest thing I can do for my family. And it keeps me from drinking in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment